Turnkey wastewater system
SugarCreek is a diversified, flexible, and creative food manufacturer that operates five facilities in Ohio, Kansas and Indiana. SugarCreeks raw and fully cooked products for customers both nationally and internationally.
In 2015 SugarCreek expanded their food production capabilities to include a new facility in Cambridge City, Indiana. This state of the art facility was designed to accommodate a wide range of food production capabilities. To meet the needs of their customers the new facility has the ability to run multiple distinct product lines and the flexibility to rapidly change product lines.
- Customer: Sugar Creek Packing Company
- Industry: Food packing
- Location: Cambridge City, IN, USA
- Flow rate: 200.000 gpd / 760 m3/d
- Contract type: Design and build
- Added value services: Design, project management and engineering, manufacturing, delivery, installation and commissioning
- Solution: Filter, flocculation, fat flotation, flotation, MBBR biological treatment, decanter centrifuge for sludge dewatering
- Intelligent services: service contract
- Start date: November 2015
SugarCreek selected Nijhuis Water Technology, Inc. (NWT) to provide a complete turnkey wastewater system capable of treating wastewater from a combination of production lines (present and future) at their Cambridge City Indiana facility. The wastewater treatment system consists of rotating drum screens, chemical free Dissolved Air Flotation Unit (DAF) for fat and grease removal, flow equalization tank, DAF with coagulant and flocculant addition, moving bed bio-reactor (MBBR), activated sludge DAF and decanter centrifuge for solids dewatering.
Since the first day of processing wastewater, the treatment system has been discharging effluent with BOD and TSS concentrations well below the limits enabling Sugar Creek to continue to expand their food production with a minimal impact to the local POTW. Furthermore the wastewater treatment system allows for resource recovery (oil and grease) and has been designed with the capability for future expansion to include on-site water reuse.
1. Reduced discharge costs.
2. Lower environmental footprint.
3. Expansion capability for the future.
4. Smart incorporated controls to manage the system.
5. Automated, integrated, and complete wastewater treatment system.