Turning Wastewater into Clean Water and Biogas
Cedrob is a leader in meat processing and poultry production. The company has it’s own breeding farms, hatcheries, broiler breeding, poultry slaughterhouses and processing plants in Poland.
Cedrob strives to be energy-self-sufficient. Next to operating 3 slaughterhouses with a total capacity of 150.000.000 broilers and 900.000 geese per year, they are also hatchhing 160.000.000 eggs, and producing 720.000 tons of fodder per year. Nijhuis acted as total WWTP and biogas solution provider, taking care of technological & civil designs, equipment supply and installation & commissioning to realize the environmental ambitions of Cedrob. The WWTP is designed to treat different types of wastewater from Cedrob’s slaughterhouse in Ciechanow.
- Customer: Cedrob S.A.
- Industry: Poultry Slaughterhouse
- Location: Ujazdówek (near Ciechanów), Poland
- Design Flow: 3.000 m3 wastewater per day
- Biogas: approx. 4.000-5.000 m3/d
- Heat Energy: approx. 26.000 kWh/d
- Contract type: General Contractor as turnkey.
- Added value services: Design, project management and engineering, manufacturing, delivery, installation, commissioning, piping, electrical works and 3 months training on site.
- Wastewater solution: Filter system (1x NRF 90/300),Flocculator (1x PFR 140), Flotation (1x IPF180), denitrification, aeration tanks (BIOCTOR-CONTINUOUS), activated sludge flotation (2x GDF).
- Biogas solution: Hydrolysis tank, digesters (2x AECOMIXTM-TAURUS), boiler, decanter centrifuge, gas scrubbers and flare.
- Intelligent services: Service contract.
- Official start date: January 2013.
In 2009, Nijhuis won the contract to deliver a full-scale WWTP and biogas plant to Cedrob. The WWTP is designed to treat different types of wastewater from Cedrob’s slaughterhouse, cutup line, cleaning water from the poultry farms and sanitary wastewater. The WWTP includes a wide scope of Nijhuis technologies varying from filter systems (NRF 90/300), coagulation & flocculation (PFR 140), dissolved air flotation (IPF 180) and also an aerobic treatment system (BIOCTOR-CONTINUOUS) meeting all river water discharge standards.
The biogas plant is an integral part of the complete scheme. Biological excess sludge from the WWTP, sludge from primary Nijhuis DAF treatment, as well as sludge transported from off-site, are pre-treated and digested in the Nijhuis AECOMIXTM-TAURUS (2x 1.900 m3 digester volume). The digestate is dewatered with a decanter centrifuge to be used as fertiliser.
The biogas produced in the digesters is optimized by a desulphurization step inside the digester and enters then to 2 special gas scrubbers in order to obtain the high gas quality with a methane content of over 70%. Gas scrubbing is required to produce heat for the 2 digesters and hydrolysis tank. The plant commenced operating in January 2013.
- Complete turnkey WWTP and biogas solution.
- Water quality to discharge to a near-by river.
- Turn wastewater into > 4.000 m3/d biogas.
- Nijhuis expertise and application knowledge in the poultry industry.
- Energy self-sufficiency, heat and electricity for the WWTP, biogas plant and slaughterhouse.