Reuse edible oil wastewater for boilers

MBR-treatment-working.jpg

Introduction
The client is a vertically integrated company specializing in production, processing and storage of agricultural products as well as food manufacturing and distribution. Under the different brand names the following products are produced:

  • Refined deodorized and non-refined sunflower oils.
  • Monofats and other industrial fats.
  • Mayonnaises
  • Butter spread
  • Dairy butter
  • Margarine
  • Olive oils
  • Confectionery and baking fats
  • Cocoa butter substitutes
  • Butterfat substitutes

The client is operating since 2006 one of its biggest and newest edible oil plants, in which the locally produced and harvested sunflower seeds are processed to various products. In order to receive a production license a waste water treatment plant was required to treat the wastewater streams. The goal from the beginning of the project of the client was to go beyond the Russian standard for putting the wastewater to fishery water body (Order No. 469 of the Russian Government of June 23, 2008) and try to recycle as much as possible and establish, if technical and economical viable, a closed loop system.

Special features

After commissioning and the first few months of operation it was proven that the installation was running reliable and achieved the required parameters. The effluent parameters were consistently of a better quality than the intake water from the nearby river. The client decided to start reusing the effluent from the treatment as a source of water for their boilers. In order to do so the effluent was fed to a reversed osmosis system. By doing so the client managed to establish a recycle rate of almost 85 %. The remaining 15 % is the concentrate from the reversed osmosis. As the black sea is virtually on the door step of the factory, the client was granted, after a thorough analysis by the Russian state authorities to discharge this concentrate into the sea.